Documents and feats
- Chamberlain scored 31,419 points in 1,045 expert games. This is the greatest in NBA history as he retired in 1973, though their scoring total has because been surpassed by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Karl Malone, each of whom played several more periods than Chamberlain, and also by jordan. Their job scoring average of 30.06 points per game (ppg) is second-highest in league history, fractionally behind Jordan’s 30.12 ppg.
- Chamberlain averaged 30.1 points and 22.9 rebounds per game for their job.
- Wilt’s 1961-62 average that is scoring of ppg, achieved aided by the Philadelphia Warriors, is definitely the NBA record. Chamberlain additionally holds the following three spots from the NBA’s period scoring list that is average 44.8, 38.9 and 38.4 points per game. The next closest player is Elgin Baylor, whom averaged 38.3 ppg in identical ’61-62 period by which Chamberlain set the record.
- Chamberlain additionally set accurate documentation for rebounds in a casino game with 55, from the Boston Celtics on 24, 1960 november. ( The opposing center in that game had been Bill Russell, that has held the previous record of 51.)
- Wilt led the NBA in rebounding 11 times, led in shooting percentage seven times, and led in scoring seven times, less eye-catching stats also provide to show Chamberlain’s sheer dominance. The next year, which he did in 1968, at a clip of 8.6 per game – numbers good enough to match those of today’s point guards after critics called him a one-dimensional (or even selfish) player, Chamberlain defiantly promised to lead the league in assists.
- Chamberlain can also be the player that is only NBA history to quickly attain a double-triple-double (20 points, 20 rebounds, 20 assists), in one single game. In 1968, he logged 22 points, 25 rebounds and 21 assists. This may be the most jaw-dropping stat line, as it is the ultimate testimony of Wilt’s versatility for basketball purists.
- Chamberlain had been additionally recognized for amazing endurance. In 1962 he handled 48.5 mins per game – meaning he played practically every full minute of this overtime contests also the legislation. Their 3882 minutes played from the group’s feasible 3890 suggest an average of six moments sleep per game. Chamberlain played over 46 mins per game for seven seasons, and their job 45.8 average is unparalleled. Chamberlain additionally holds the very best five markings in minutes played in a period together with top seven markings in minutes-per-game played in a season, including 3882 moments away from a potential 3890 mins in the superlative 1961-62 period, russian brides us the average in excess of 48 mins per game in a casino game that operates 48 mins of legislation time!
- Even though he never once fouled out of a game that he was regularly double- and triple-teamed on offense and relied upon so heavily on defense, in his 14 years in the NBA.
- As an arguable, but note that is probable many sportswriters attest that Chamberlain could have had many quadruple- if you don’t quintuple-doubles, and typical a triple double for their profession (points/ rebounds/ obstructs). Chamberlain played in a time during which blocks and steals are not officially held statistics.
Wilt’s effect on the overall game can also be mirrored within the undeniable fact that his jersey got resigned an impressive four times. As of 2006, following groups have actually retired their number 13:
- Golden State Warriors
- Harlem Globetrotters
- Los Angeles Lakers
- Philadelphia 76ers
The best basketballer of them all?
Their amazing data are unreached, however the argument that is great Wilt is the fact that he « only » won two titles. Therefore, there are lots of players whom arguably competing Wilt for the name of basketballer that is greatest of them all:
- Bill Russell, their lifelong nemesis that is on-court whom won an impressive 11 games and regularly beat Chamberlain’s groups into the playoffs
- Jordan, whom won six games and won 11 regular period and Finals MVP games, even more than Chamberlain did
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who won additionally six games and it is the NBA’s all-time foremost scorer
- Magic Johnson, whom won five titles and had been much more allround than Chamberlain
Wilt himself reported inside the guide Wilt: exactly like Any Other 7-Foot Ebony Millionaire Who Lives Door that is next:I’m not obviously competitive and aggressive. I don’t have actually a killer instinct ». ( web web page 187) this is painfully obvious in a single instance, particularly the 1970 NBA Finals Game 7, well-known for Knicks center Willis Reed hobbling up court with just one thigh that is intact. Rather than literally annihilating Reed by dropping 50-60 points on him, Chamberlain held right back, scoring just 21 points.
But, Chamberlain has arguments that are several support him. In their prime, Wilt ended up being so principal (and strangely reviled, much contrary to jordan), that the NBA really changed the guidelines to end Chamberlain, including outlawing the inbounds pass within the backboard and dunking through the line that is foul.
Celtics forward Tom Heinsohn confessed that their group used dirty tricks to prevent him, by abusing him having a flurry of difficult fouls, using him down and exploiting their only weakness (poor foul shooting) by an earlier type of the Hack-a-Shaq. Considering that that Celtics group showcased seven Hall of Famers in certain cases, but still had to turn to these techniques to get rid of one player, claims a great deal.
In direct contrast, he was a great deal more allround than Russell (who had been perhaps not thought to be a specialist that is offensive and had been just more dominant than all other players, also including jordan. In their prime, nobody could stop him, on both ends associated with court. Also Bill Russell, the very best player that is defensive of time, could just slow him down to a level that Wilt « only » scored a typical 28.7 PPG and 28.7 RPG against him.
Wilt’s unpleasant energy was unmatched, and defensively, he advertised two All-NBA Defensive First Team spots, notably during the chronilogical age of 36 and 37 (!). Generally, Wilt gets his fair share of votes when you look at the alleged « GOAT argument », which is generally speaking agreed that Wilt had been not top, but also for sure, he had been the essential principal player the overall game ever produced.
- Inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame (1978)
- 2x NBA champ (1967, ’72)
- 1x NBA Finals MVP (1972)
- 4x NBA regular period MVP (1960, ’66, ’67, ’68)
- 7x All-NBA First Team (1960, ’61, ’62, ’64, ’66, ’67, ’68)
- 3x All-NBA 2nd Team (’63, ’65, ’72)
- 2x All-Defensive First Team (1972, ’73)
- Rookie of the year (1960)
- Among the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996).
- Chamberlain ranked # 2 in SLAM Magazine’s Top 75 NBA Players of most amount of time in 2003.
Center Bill Russell to his battles had been famous; these were tough rivals from the court, yet were near personal buddies off the hardwood. Wilt additionally received accolades for any other recreations, including track and industry (by which he went the 100-yard dash in 10.9 seconds in senior high school), volleyball (he founded and starred in an expert league) and automobile race, and others. He flirted with boxing, and had been provided a professional soccer agreement by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1966. He additionally had been an actor, celebrity and businessman after his career that is playing concluded. The Destroyer in 1984, he co-starred (along with future Governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger) in Conan.
Chamberlain constantly wore a rubber band around their wrist, because of a superstition, and ended up being keen on stating that « no body origins for Goliath. »
« 20000 women » claim
He authored four publications before their death on October 12, 1999, including an autobiography, A View from Above , by which he controversially stated to own had sex with very nearly 20,000 ladies — this could have averaged 1.2 females a day from age 15 until their death. People doubted their certain quantity, though few questioned the very fact of crazy intimate behavior. He received criticism that is heavy numerous public numbers, whom accused him of satisfying stereotypes about African Americans, and of behaving irresponsibly (especially because of the AIDS crisis, that was well underway because of the 1980s, whenever lots of the conquests had been made). Chamberlain defended himself, saying « I happened to be simply doing that which was natural — chasing ladies that are good-looking whoever these people were and anywhere they certainly were available ». He additionally noted which he never ever attempted to rest with a lady who was simply married.
Wilt Chamberlain died unexpectedly of a coronary arrest in the rest in the l . a ., California home. He had been 63 yrs old.